Computational Methods for Massively Parallel Sequencing, Nov 2013
This course will provide an introduction to a wide range of analytical techniques for massively parallel sequencing. We will pair lectures on the theory of analysis algorithms with practical computational excercises demonstrating the use of common tools for analyzing data from each of several common sequencing study designs.
Topics covered will include:
- NGS read-to-reference alignment (genomic and RNA-Seq)
- Variation calling in populations
- De novo assembly of genomic and RNA-Sequence data
- RNA-Seq expression analysis
Analysis techniques covered will focus mostly on data from the Illumina platform, but we will discuss other sequencing platforms and the advantages and challenges to using their data.
- A background in genetics, cell biology, biomedicine, biochemistry, bioinformatics or comparable is desirable
To get the maximum benefit from the course we would like you to have
- Relevant previous experience in sequencing or analysis
- A current research project where you are currently using next generation sequencing or are planning to use next generation sequencing
- It is beneficial if you are directly performing analyses or if you have a support role and will be able to participate in a wide range of projects and transfer your knowledge to others
Selection criteria include correct entry requirements, motivation to attend the course as well as gender and geographical balance.
18th-22nd November 2013, Uppsala
National course. The course is open for PhD students, postdocs, researchers and other employees in need of bioinformatic skills within all Swedish universities.
Application open: September 26th
Application deadline: October 28th
Confirmation to accepted students: November 1st
Manfred Grabherr, Martin Dahlö, Bengt Persson
If you don’t receive information according to the dates above, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A course fee of 1800 SEK will be invoiced to accepted participants (includes the study material, coffe, lunches and course dinner).