ELIXIR-EXCELERATE Train the Trainer
ELIXIR-EXCELERATE, in collaboration with ELIXIR Sweden and ELIXIR-IIB, is pleased to announce a Train the Trainer (TtT) event. This course is meant to offer guidance, ideas and tips for training/teaching design, development and delivery based on research-driven educational principles. Examples and discussions will also focus on the challenges presented by academic teaching.
- Application open: June 5, 2018
- Application deadline: When the number of participants reaches 20 (first-come-first-served basis)
Jessica Lindvall, NBIS (National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden), Elixir-SE
Allegra Via (Training Coordinator ELIXIR-IIB, IBPM-CNR)
Jessica Lindvall (Training Coordinator ELIXIR-SE, NBIS)
Contact information for questions regarding the course: Jessica Lindvall, Jessica.email@example.com
Course information/Course webpage
The course is made up of four sessions, covering:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- Lesson, course, and materials design
Whoever is interested in becoming a teacher or a better one. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching?
- How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
- How can I help slow learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
- How can I become a better teacher?
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and utilize training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
- Learners can name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Learners can describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Learners can design a training session and a course
- Learners can develop assessment questionnaires
- Learners can enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course