Bioinformatician to National Genomics Infrastructure (NGI)
The National Genomics Infrastructure, NGI, is the largest technical platform at SciLifeLab. It is a national resource that offers an infrastructure for state-of-the-art DNA sequencing and SNP genotyping to researchers across Sweden. By providing access to advanced genomics techniques and providing guidelines and support for sampling, study design, protocol selection and bioinformatics analysis, we hope to enable world-leading research.
We are looking for a Bioinformatician to join our applications development team at NGI. The successful candidate will work in one of the largest European sequencing facilities. The role will be varied and the candidate will be involved with multiple different tasks. Examples of duties are:
- Working in collaborative projects with users
- Analysing data from internal development projects
- Developing new analysis pipelines
- Software development, for example for quality control
- Automation of data/analysis flow
- Assistance in keeping existing pipelines and tools state-of-the-art.
- Programming skills, primarily in Python, alt. R, Perl, Java or C/C++
- Basic knowledge of version control, e.g. git
- Experience from using Linux/UNIX
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- PhD in Bioinformatics or equivalent competence
- Experience handling large datasets, in particular next-generation sequencing data (NGS)
- Experience of HPC or equivalent computer systems
- Experience of working with cloud computing environments (eg. AWS)
- Experience of web application development and/or database administration (SQL or noSQL)
- Experience in using DNA/RNA sequencing data to investigate issues such as cancer biology and complex diseases
- Experience of integrative analyzes with multiple data types such as: RNA sequencing and whole genome sequencing, hybrid de novo assemblies using data from techniques that generate long and short readings (e.g., Illumina + Pacific Biosciences); protein and RNA data.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time position for 18 months, starting as soon as possible. Administratively the employment will be placed at Stockholm University.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Ellen Sherwood, firstname.lastname@example.org.