System developer at the NGI-Uppsala SNP&SEQ Technology Platform at the Department of Medical Sciences
As a part of the National Genomics Infrastructure (NGI) at the Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab, https://www.scilifelab.se), the SNP&SEQ Technology Platform in Uppsala provides SNP-genotyping and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology as a service to researchers in- and outside of Sweden (http://www.sequencing.se).
Would you like to work in one of the most rapidly growing application areas in the world? Would you like to work alongside researchers and bioinformaticians in a dynamic and creative atmosphere at one of Europe’s largest facilities for DNA sequencing? As a system developer at the SNP&SEQ Technology Platform, you will participate in developing solutions to optimize the flow of large-scale DNA sequencing data from our instruments to the researchers.
Your main responsibilities will be development, deployment and maintenance of the IT-systems used within the platform for managing large-scale sequencing data. Emphasis is placed on automation and information security.
Examples of tasks:
- Development of an open-source system for processing and analysing data in the petabyte range
- Create smart integrations with our LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System)
- Develop our existing DevOps solutions based on e.g. Ansible, GitLab and Travis-CI
- Establish, maintain and validate documentation of systems
- Planning and purchasing of hardware
Development within the platform is mainly carried out using Python. Since the operations at the SNP&SEQ Technology Platform are accredited by SWEDAC, there is an emphasis on documentation and version control.
- University degree in IT and system development or equivalent discipline
- A minimum of 2 years documented experience in systems development
- Excellent programming skills in e.g. Python, Perl, Scala or Java. Emphasis on the applicant’s ability to quickly learn new skills
- Experience of version control
- Experience in system administration of Unix or Linux environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
We are looking for a person with a high degree of self-motivation, attention to detail, sense of responsibility, and ability to work both independently and in a team. Emphasis will be put on personal qualities such as a positive attitude and ability to cooperate.
- Experience with computer clusters and distributed systems
- Experience from working with information security and quality assurance
- Knowledge of molecular biology and sequencing technologies
- Swedish communication skills
Starting date: As soon as possible
Form of employment: Permanent position with a six-month probation period
Working hours: Full-time
For further information about the position please contact: Pontus Larsson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application by 13 March 2018, UFV-PA 2018/96.