Doctoral student in Computational Biology and Machine Learning at SciLifeLab
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
Multi-cellular biological systems display a in several ways astonishing complexity. While most of the primary structure of DNA is shared across the trillions of genomes of the cells in the human body, the cells will show a wide diversity in morphology and molecular composition. Currently, we are harnessing seemingly ever-improving techniques for the exploratory determination of genomes, transcriptomes, proteomes, and metabolomes, both in tissue and single cells. However, to fully deliver on their potential, these technologies must be matched with advanced computational analysis tools. The understanding of experimental technologies and the ability to formulate pertinent medical questions must come hand in hand with the design of machine learning algorithms.
This project is concerned with Machine Learning and probabilistic modeling of proteomics data. Methodologically, this project will be focused on methods for computational predictions and inferences, as well as the implementation of such methods on modern high-performance computers and clusters. The project will be in collaboration with a machine-learning lab, a mass spectrometry lab, and a structure prediction lab. This is a four-year time-limited position that can be extended up to a year with the inclusion of a maximum of 20% departmental duties, usually teaching. In order to be employed, you must apply and be accepted as a doctoral student at KTH. The starting date is open for discussion, though ideally we would like the successful candidate to start as soon as possible.
Third-cycle subject: Biotechnology
Supervision: Lukas Käll is proposed to supervise the doctoral student. Decisions are made on admission
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master’s degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Programming skills and language skills are required. A suitable background for this position would be a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, or any other discipline with a large component of quantitative science. Knowledge of biology and computational biology are regarded as advantageous qualifications.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time. In the case of studies that are to be completed with a licentiate degree, the total period of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education for two years.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Links to any source code that you have been involved in developing.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here
Type of employment: Temporary position
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment: According to agreement
Salary Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement
Number of positions: 1
Full-time equivalent: 100%
County: Stockholms län
Reference number: C-2023-0956
Contact: Lukas Käll, +4687909852
Last application date: 01.Jun.2023 11:59 PM CEST