Doctoral student in systems biology of liver diseases
KTH , School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab, https://www.scilifelab.se/) is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure.
Third-cycle subject: Mardinoglu lab at SciLifeLab develop genome-scale metabolic models (GEMs) for human cells/tissues and employ these comprehensive models in the analysis of the omics data obtained from subjects with complex diseases including non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer (e.g. hepatocellular carcinoma). This is an exciting area of biomedical research, driven by the recent discoveries of metabolic reprogramming in common complex diseases.
The student will integrate the liver GEMs with other biological networks including regulatory, protein-protein interactions (PPIs) and co-expression networks. The candidate will use these biological networks in the analysis of the omics data obtained from different clinical conditions to identify drug targets and discover biomarker for the development of the efficient diagnostic and treatment strategies for liver diseases. The candidate will also use systems biology tools to perform identify potential drugs for treatment of the disease and validate them in the lab. The candidate will be working closely with the experimental groups as well as clinicians. More information can be found at http://sysmedicine.com
Supvervision: The doctoral student will be placed at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology and supervised by: Dr Adil Mardinoglu & Dr Cheng Zhang
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
|Type of employment
|Temporary position longer than 6 months
|First day of employment
|According to agreement
|Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement
|Number of positions
|Last application date
|22.Feb.2021 11:59 PM CET