Lab technician for large-scale sequencing operations
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The position will be located at SciLifeLab which is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure. For more information see the homepage: http://www.scilifelab. se/
You will be working as a lab technician at the National Genomics Infrastructure (NGI), one of the largest European sequencing facilities, at SciLifeLab in Solna. NGI – Stockholm, provides large-scale sequencing, as well as knowledge of this, to Swedish research groups. The aim is to promote Swedish research and to keep Sweden competitive within the field of genomics. This is achieved by working towards high quality of both data, analyzes and service.
Your role may include the following tasks:
- Ensure that the laboratory is well-organized by handling purchasing of consumables/reagents, unpacking / keeping inventory of consumables, stock the laboratory and organize fridges and freezers.
- Checking and maintaining instruments and methods according to assigned responsibilities.
- Ensure that all team members have been trained to use laboratory equipment and methods
- Writing/updating risk assessments
- Quality control of incoming samples according to validated routines
- Assist others with and perform lab techniques
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future.
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm , in close proximity to nature
- Degree in molecular biology or equivalent competence
- Familiarity with working in a laboratory environment
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills
- It is commendable if you have prior experience from service-oriented laboratory operations or with information systems for laboratories and quality assurance.
In order to succeed in this role, it is important that you are an independent problem solver, with a structured and quality conscious way of working. You also have good communication skills in both written and spoken language. You have excellent collaboration skills.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH.se
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the instructions in the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Cover letter. Max two pages long.
Your complete application must be received by KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The employment is valid for a limited time according to the agreement – for up to 1 year, with access according to agreement.