Postdoc in AI-powered Whole-cell Modeling
School of Engineering Sciences at KTH
The Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab) is a national center for molecular biosciences with focus on health and environmental research. The combination of the highly interdisciplinary expertise and research projects at the department is unique in Sweden and also at an international level. This expertise ranges across cell biology, biochemistry, biophysics and theory. Recently, the SciLifeLab and Wallenberg National Program started the Data-Driven Life Science (DDLS) program in order to accelerate life science research through innovations in AI and data science.
The AICell Lab (https://aicell.io) in the department of Applied Physics at KTH and SciLifeLab is a new research group funded by the DDLS Fellows program. The group, led by Wei Ouyang, focuses on building AI systems for data-driven cell and molecular biology. To expand the team, we are now seeking two postdoctoral researchers to build AI systems for spatial multi-omics data analysis and whole-cell modeling.
Whole-cell modeling enables a holistic and quantitative view of cell biology and allows performing in-silico experimentation which has a great potential in revolutionizing system biology, synthetic biology, medicine and other applications in life science. However, modeling the entire cell is an extremely complex task and is heavily limited by our understanding of the biological systems. As a newly formed research group, we would like to take the grand challenge of modeling the human cell through recent advances in multi-omics data generation and artificial intelligence. Our aim is to use recent deep learning techniques such as convolutional neural networks, transformers, AlphaFold and diffusion models to analysis existing multi-omics dataset, combining them with massive amount of newly generated live cell, multiplexed images, to model cellular behavior through generative and predictive models.
The candidates are expected to 1) develop machine learning models and tools for smart microscopy and image analysis 2) integrate multi-omics dataset 3) perform generative modeling and 4) create large-scale differentiable models to do spatial cell simulations. The project will be carried out on top of existing work and collaborate closely with PhDs and postdocs in the group.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Collaboration opportunities with leading research institutions and universities in Europe and the US
- Learning and thriving in a young and ambitious research group
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- The ability to express yourself in spoken and written English as it is required in daily work
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- You are passionate and knowledgeable on developing and applying machine learning models to life science applications
- Proficient in programming languages such as Python, understanding cloud and web computing technologies is a plus
- Training in cell and molecular biology
- Wet lab experience in cell and molecular biology
- Prior experience in bioimage analysis, genomics sequence analysis, protein folding and metabolic network analysis
- Prior experience in cell modeling and simulation
- Prior experience in fluorescence microscopy imaging
- Prior experience in building deep learning models and tools, microscopy control, software design, web services and distributed computing systems
- Knowledge in popular neural networks architectures, natural language processing models, generative models, AlphaFold
- Collaborative abilities
- Teaching abilities
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with a specific focus on gender equality
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience, knowledge and representative publications. Please also provide your Github/Gitlab/Bitbucket etc. handle if possible.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your career goal and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here