Postdoc in Genomics (2 positions)
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health (CBH) is one of the five schools of KTH and a strong constellation for research and education in the broader areas of health, environment, energy and materials. The School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health conducts research and education in areas that cover several global challenges. Among them are the need of sustainable energy, health and aging population, climate change, sustainable production and working life, food production and clean water.
Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab, https://www.scilifelab.se/) is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure. At SciLifeLab, multidisciplinary research is carried out based on DNA sequencing, gene expression analysis, proteomics, bioinformatics, biostatistics and system biology. The goal is to enable Swedish researchers to analyze genes, transcripts and proteins in different organisms in order to map molecular mechanisms related to health and the environment. Examples of thematic research areas that are currently being processed within SciLifeLab are clinical genomics/proteomics, cancer genome and the genomics of complex diseases as well as ecological and environmental genomics.
Professor Tuuli Lappalainen’s research group is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to work on projects focused on functional effects of genetic variants in humans. The work can be fully computational or with both experimental and computational components. The postdoctoral project(s) can derive from existing projects and data sets in the lab, as well as ongoing consortium efforts, but the postdoctoral researcher can also propose and pursue their own ideas that fit the general research program of the lab. See https://tllab.org
Dr. Lappalainen is also the director of National Genomics Infrastructure of SciLifeLab and an Associate Faculty Member at the New York Genome Center, and the person selected for this role would interact closely with these teams as well.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future.
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment.
- Opportunity to do research in an international research group at the cutting edge of genomics
- Creative role that combines a high degree of independence with close mentorship and interactions with other members of the lab
- Close interactions with Dr. Lappalainen’s lab at the New York Genome Center and with the Genomics platform at SciLifeLab
- An possibility to pursue collaborative and consortium projects and develop an international profile as a researcher
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree in human genetics, functional genomics or a related field, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (with some exceptions for special reasons such as periods of sick or parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume).
- A strong publication record
- Skills and experience in analysis of large-scale genomics data sets.
- Research expertise in analysis of human genetic data and/or functional genomic data is preferred, but candidates from other backgrounds may apply as well
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
To be successful in this role you need to have a track record showing collaborative abilities and independence. You also need to have excellent research expertise and teaching abilities.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||2|
|Working hours||Heltid, 100%|
|Contact||Tuuli Lappalainen, email@example.com|
|Last application date||05.Jul.2021 11:59 PM CET|