Postdoc in Scalable AI Systems for BioImage Analysis
School of Engineering Sciences at KTH
The Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab) is a national center for molecular biosciences with focus on health and environmental research. The combination of the highly interdisciplinary expertise and research projects at the department is unique in Sweden and also at an international level. This expertise ranges across cell biology, biochemistry, biophysics and theory. Recently, the SciLifeLab and Wallenberg National Program started the Data-Driven Life Science (DDLS) program in order to accelerate life science research through innovations in AI and data science.
The AICell Lab in the department of Applied Physics at KTH and SciLifeLab is a new research group funded by the DDLS Fellows program. The group, led by Wei Ouyang, focuses on building AI systems for data-driven cell and molecular biology. To expand the team, we are now seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to work on the AI4Life project. AI4Life is a Horizon Europe-funded project that brings together the computational and life science communities. Its goal is to empower life science researchers to harness the full potential of AI for bioimage analysis – and in particular microscopy image analysis, by providing services, and developing standards aimed at both developers and users.
The postdoc will work with other AI4Life consortium partners to build scalable AI tools and computing infrastructure for bioimage analysis. There are two aims in the project: 1) Creating web services and computing platforms for sharing AI models, making them more accessible and usable; 2) Building scalable bioimage analysis methods and tools for powering next-generation augmented microscopy. This includes creating tools for collaborative and interactive annotation, model training, real-time inference and generating feedback signal for microscope control.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Collaboration opportunities with leading research institutions and universities in Europe and the US
- Learning and thriving in a young and ambitious research group
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- The ability to express yourself in English.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- You are passionate, curious and knowledgeable on developing web services and tools
- Proficient in web technologies (e.g. network communication, browser standards, containerization and kubernetes)
- Prior experience in building AI models, MLops and tools
- Knowledge in digital image analysis and computer vision
- Knowledge in software design, web services and distributed computing systems
- Collaborative abilities, and scientific communication
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with a specific focus on gender equality
- Teaching abilities
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience, knowledge and representative publications. Please also provide your Github/Gitlab/Bitbucket etc. handle if possible.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your career goal and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals, (max two pages long).
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years. There may be possibilities to prolong employment.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.