Postdoctoral studies in Phage biology and mycobacteria defense systems (scholarship)
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
The Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching within immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC have about 40 research groups and our key words are multidisciplinary, bridging, national and international collaborations.
We are searching for a postdoctoral scholar to join the new Systems Virology research group, led by Andrea Fossati as part of the larger group of Gerald Mc Inerney.
The research group of Dr Andrea Fossati seeks a postdoctoral scholar in the field of bacterial antiphage systems.
The Fossati lab (https://fossatilab.app) investigates bacterial immune systems composition and mechanism by employing a combination of bulk NGS technologies and high-throughput interaction proteomics approaches (Fossati 2023 et al., Nat Com) as well as develops computational solutions to analyze next-generation interaction proteomics datasets using machine learning (Fossati 2021 et al., Nat Methods) and deep learning (Frommelt et al., BiorVix 2023).
The team employs an integrative and collaborative methodology, maintaining close partnerships with computational and experimental units at KI, Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab), as well as local and international research groups. Regular on-site courses are offered, complemented by opportunities for further professional development via summer schools and ongoing workshops.
We search for a postdoctoral scholar to work in the area of phage biology and bacterial defense systems with a focus on functional characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis/Mycobacterium abscessus systems to restrict phage replication.
As a member of the Fossati lab, you will apply and develop novel genetic screenings (based on CRISPRi) to identify bacterial genes influencing phage replication and characterize them in their molecular context using interaction proteomics (affinity purification, proximity labelling, co-fractionation mass spectrometry).
As a Postdoctoral Researcher, you will assume a prominent role in project design and management, oversee data generation, conduct analyses, and provide insightful interpretations. Collaboration with fellow team members, other groups at KI/SciLifeLab will be a key aspect of your role. You will be responsible for disseminating scientific findings through the authorship of research papers, active participation in scientific conferences, and effective communication with colleagues.
Scholarships for postdoctoral qualification can be established for foreign researchers who place their qualifications in Sweden. The purpose of scholarships for postdoctoral qualification is to promote internationalization and contribute to research qualification after a doctorate or equivalent.
A scholarship for carrying out postdoctoral research can be granted for a maximum of two years within a four year period following the receipt of a doctoral degree or equivalent.
To be eligible for a postdoctoral scholarship, the person must have obtained a doctorate or a foreign degree deemed to be equivalent to a doctorate. Applicants who have not completed a doctorate at the end of the application period may also apply, provided that all requirements for a completed degree are met before the (intended) start date of the post doctoral education.
The head of the department determines whether their previous training and scholarly qualifications correspond to a Swedish doctorate or higher.
In addition to the aforementioned requirements, the applicant must have:
- Demonstrated expertise in forward and reverse genetic screens
- Experience with CRISPRi (library design, sample preparation and data analysis)
- Basic molecular clonig (primers design, PCR, restriction, ligation, Golden Gate assembly, competent cells preparation, bacterial transformation, plasmid purification, gel electrophoresis,etc)
- Basic biochemistry (protein expression, purification, western blots, immunofluorescence)
- Adaptability to a diverse, interdisciplinary, and global research environment, along with a commitment to ongoing professional growth, is essential
Additional skills that are especially meritorious for the position:
- Prior experience with slow-growing Mycobacteria
- Experience with phage recombineering and bacterial genetics
- Knowledge of virology/phage biology techniques (plaque assay, phage isolation, etc)
- Working knowledge of Python/R
- Hands-on experience in proteomics sample preparation or data analysis is a plus but not required
Type of scholarship
The amount is tax free and it is set for twelve months at a time, paid out on a six months basis. In exceptional cases, shorter periods may be acceptable.
An application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
The application is to be submitted on the Varbi recruitment system.