Research Advisor, Core Facilities
Ref PAR 2023/398
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
Core Facilities is a university-wide Life Science research infrastructure located at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg. Here you have access to some of Sweden’s most advanced techniques and analysis tools for research in eg. medicine, biomedicine and clinical studies. All our units have strong national and international profiles and are part of national research infrastructures such as SciLifeLab. The units at Core Facilities are equipped with advanced instrumentation and highly competent and specialized staff. Next to highly qualified research support, our experts also offer theoretical education and practical courses. Our infrastructure is open to all researchers from Swedish and international institutions as well as private industry.
OligoNova Hub is a national research infrastructure that provides academic researchers in Sweden with support and capabilities to transform ideas and discoveries into new oligonucleotide therapies.
The Hub is located within the vibrant biotech cluster at the AstraZeneca BioVentureHub in Mölndal. OligoNova Hub is organized within the Core Facilities at the University of Gothenburg (www.cf.gu.se), and is also part of the Science for Life Laboratory Drug Discovery and Development platform (https://www.scilifelab.se/units/ddd-platform/ ), a national resource comprising 50+ scientists with complementary expertise in drug discovery.
OligoNova Hub is now planning to strengthen the organization with an ambitious research advisor (project coordinator), preferably with industrial experience in drug development.
- Together with the platform’s Scientific Director and Team Leaders, establish routines for and contribute to project coordination, follow-up, and reporting of the platform’s activities.
- Support and coordinate activities with the platform’s users and other relevant collaboration partners.
- Contribute with technical expertise in drug development, especially in the transition from early discovery phases to early clinical studies.
- Establish contact networks with external collaboration partners of importance for pharmaceutical projects that exit OligoNova Hub.
- Contribute to national workshops and meetings within OligoNova’s areas of interest.
- Additional/modified duties may be added depending on the development of the OligoNova Hub and ongoing efforts to support later development phases for oligonucleotide-based drugs.
You must have a doctoral degree in pharmaceutical sciences or a similar subject area. Experience from work in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry or a similar environment is highly meritorious. Experience in project management is required. You must have documented experience of administrative work such as project planning, coordination and reporting. The position also requires significant computer skills, good administrative and organizational skills, a structured way of working, and an interest in continuously updating one’s own work area. Since you will work in a clinical environment in close consultation with Swedish authorities, while we interact strongly with researchers in an international environment, excellent oral and written communication skills in Swedish and English are required.
Essential for the role:
- Experience working with multiple and diverse cell types/models, including primary cells and cell lines.
- Expertise in developing and applying a broad range of wet-lab techniques, such as qPCR, Western-blotting, toxicity assays and other plate-based assays.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to operate effectively in a multi-disciplinary research environment.
- Ability to independently analyze and evaluate complex data and deliver data/project reports to agreed timelines.
Desirable and meritorious:
Experience of own practical work in early pharmaceutical projects is advantageous, but not a requirement. You will have a central role at OligoNova Hub with contacts with other SciLifeLab Facilities, the Core Facilities organization at the University of Gothenburg, and external partner organizations. Hence, you should enjoy nurturing many contacts and possess a strong ability to communicate in an interdisciplinary environment. To be successful in this position, you must be self-motivated, innovative and able to drive things to the finish line. You should be outgoing and find it easy to network with academic and industrial partners.
Great emphasis is placed on personal suitability, good communication and interpersonal skills. You are able to work independently as well as part of a team. You are self-motivated and service-minded and have a positive, result-oriented and problem-solving attitude. You have excellent problem-solving skills, not limited to your own area of expertise.
The position is a full-time (100%), fixed-term position for 11 months, placed at OligoNova Hub within the Core Facilities at the University of Gothenburg, Mölndal. Start date as soon as possible / according to agreement.
Employment title: Research Advisor
Applicants will be evaluated based on submitted documents, interviews, and references. Particular emphasis will be placed on documented experience in project management.
Contact information for the post
For questions regarding the position, you are welcome to contact Pär Matsson, Scientific Director, OligoNova Hub, email@example.com; or Elisabet Carlsohn, Head of Core Facilities, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg can be found here: https://www.gu.se/om-universitetet/jobba-hos-oss/hjalp-for-sokande
Information for International Applicants
Choosing a career in a foreign country is a big step. Thus, to give you a general idea of what we and Gothenburg have to offer in terms of benefits and life in general for you and your family/spouse/partner please visit:
To apply for a position at the University of Gothenburg, you have to create an account in our recruitment system. Submit your application via the University of Gothenburg’s recruitment portal by clicking the “Apply” button. It is your responsibility to ensure that the application is complete as per the vacancy notice, and that the University receives it by the final application deadline.
Apply by submitting an electronic application in Swedish or English. The application shall include:
– A personal letter with an explanation of why you apply to the position (max 1-2 pages).
– Your complete CV including list of publications and patents.
– Three referees (name, telephone no, relation).
– Copy of exam certificate.
Applications must be received by: 2023-08-31
The University works actively to achieve a working environment with equal conditions, and values the qualities that diversity brings to its operations.
Salaries are set individually at the University.
In accordance with the National Archives of Sweden’s regulations, the University must archive application documents for two years after the appointment is filled. If you request that your documents are returned, they will be returned to you once the two years have passed. Otherwise, they will be destroyed.
In connection to this recruitment, we have already decided which recruitment channels we should use. We therefore decline further contact with vendors, recruitment and staffing companies.