Research assistant at Karolinska Institutet
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
The Department of Oncology-Pathology conducts basic, translational, and clinical research together with educational activities related to cancer. We are recruiting a Research Assistant to be placed within the group of Assistant Professor Sean Rudd, housed in SciLifeLab, who will work in a research program centred upon identifying and developing approaches to personalise antimetabolite chemotherapeutics for the treatment of human disease.
Antimetabolites remain standard-of-care for most common cancers in addition to being important antivirals. However, their efficacy can vary and the underlying mechanisms can often remain unclear. In the Rudd group, we aim to further our basic understanding of how chemotherapeutic agents exert their therapeutic effects, understanding why in some instances they work and in others they do not, and leveraging this information to design therapy improvements. The successful candidate will assist on-going research projects in the group upon this theme. This will entail using a variety of biochemical, biophysical, and molecular/cell biology techniques in close collaboration with team members in order to deliver high-quality data in a timely manner.
The following qualifications are required:
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- An MSc (or currently undertaking an MSc) in cell/molecular biology or equivalent discipline.
- Documented lab experience. Being able to plan, perform and evaluate scientific research is required.
- Previously documented experience with biochemical, biophysical, molecular/cellular techniques such as qPCR, molecular cloning, protein purification, target engagement assays, dynamic light scattering, enzymatic activity assays (e.g., ADP-Glo kinase assay), Western blotting, cell death/viability assays is required. Documented experiences in handling and culturing bacteria, and mammalian cell lines (particularly haematological cancer cell lines) is required.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), data analysis software (e.g., GraphPad Prism), and basic programming software (e.g., Python or R)
It is particularly meritorious that the applicant has shown:
- Previously documented experience working with antimetabolite drugs and DNA precursor pool metabolic enzymes, such as SAMHD1, would be a strong merit
- A strong merit would be previous experience with liquid handling equipment, microwell plate-based assays, and in sillico analysis of protein-molecule interactions.
- Previous publications in peer reviewed journals/preprint.
What do we offer?
A creative and inspiring environment with wide-ranging expertise and interests. Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote a better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct successful medical research and hold the largest range of medical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is also a state university, which entitles you to several good benefits through our collective agreement. And you get to practice freely in our modern wellness facilities, where trained staff are on site.
Choose to work at KI – Ten reasons why
Welcome to apply at the latest 29th of march.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.In this recruitment, you will apply with your CV without a personal letter. Instead, you will answer some questions about why you are applying for the job in the application form.
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all