Research engineer in cancer immunology
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
We are an academic research lab at Karolinska Institutet (KI) and SciLifeLab in Stockholm, Sweden (https://www.hausserlab.org).
We develop new data science and AI approaches, validated by experiments in vitro and in vivo, to reveal how cancer cells escape the immune system and guide immunotherapeutic interventions.
By joining us, you will position your experimental skills within the AI and data science-driven transformation of biomedicine.
You will be central to both our daily operation as a lab and to our long-term scientific potential. Your responsibilities will include:
- Bringing in experimental and theoretical expertise in cancer and immunobiology.
- Designing and performing cell biology and tumor immunology experiments to guide, calibrate and validate our data science and AI methods.
- Ensuring smooth daily operations of the experimental lab, including safety and inventory.
- Mentoring lab members in experimental research projects.
- Advancing your own research projects.
- Co-authoring manuscripts, supporting grant writing.
- Occasionally supporting the principal investigator with non-experimental administrative tasks.
- PhD-level research experience in experimental biology, ideally in cancer and/or immunology.
- Experience with research techniques for cancer and immunology such as immunofluorescence microscopy, 3D cell culture, rodent models, FACS, NGS.
- An open-minded, creative, problem-solving attitude in identifying or learning experimental approaches most suitable for specific scientific questions.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Experience and track-record of successful mentoring students.
- No formal computational/mathematical training is required for this position. However, we will value ability and willingness to develop intuition for mathematical thinking which conditions successful collaboration with bioinformaticians and mathematicans at the lab.
- Similarly, no practical computational skills are required. Previous experience with R/python scripting, running bioinformatics pipelines (for example CellRanger, Samtools, STAR, Seurat, …), running image analysis pipelines (such as CellProfiler, ImageJ, Qpath, …), or using a Linux server via the command line will be valued.
What do we offer?
- An opportunity to position your experimental skills within the AI and data science-driven transformation of biomedicine.
- Flexibility: full-time or part-time employment are possible.
- A stimulating scientific environment and top research infrastructure. KI is among the world’s foremost medical universities and The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, appoints the laureates for the Nobel Prize in physiology and medicine.
- SciLifeLab, to which we are affiliated is the Swedish national center for high-throughput molecular bioscience, with world-leading research in areas from spatial biology to cancer.
- High life quality: Stockholm consistently ranks among cities with highest quality of life worldwide.
A creative and inspiring environment with wide-ranging expertise and interests. Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote a better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct successful medical research and hold the largest range of medical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is also a state university, which entitles you to several good benefits through our collective agreement. And you get to practice freely in our modern wellness facilities, where trained staff are on site.