Research engineer within operations for large-scale sequencing
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
SciLifeLab (https://www.scilifelab.se) is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure. At SciLifeLab, multidisciplinary research is carried out based on DNA sequencing, gene expression analysis, proteomics, bioinformatics, biostatistics and system biology.
The goal is to enable Swedish researchers to analyze genes, transcripts and proteins in different organisms in order to map molecular mechanisms related to health and the environment. Examples of thematic research areas that are currently being processed within SciLifeLab are clinical genomics / proteomics, cancer genome and the genomics of complex diseases as well as ecological and environmental genomics.
The employment applies to a position at the Genomics Production team, which is a part of NGI -Stockholm (National Genomics Infrastructure – Stockholm) located at SciLifeLab in Solna. NGI -Stockholm Genomics Production provides large-scale sequencing, as well as knowledge of this, to Swedish research groups. The aim is to promote Swedish research and to keep Sweden competitive within the field of genomics. This is achieved by working towards high quality data, analysis, and service.
We are looking for a research engineer for our Production team to work with library preparations, quality controls, and sequencing. You have a strong sense of responsibility and accuracy in your work. You enjoy working in the lab and being part of a team where we work towards common goals. You will daily handle and prepare important samples in a quality-assured laboratory environment. The samples are varied and the methods advanced, hence some problem solving and method development is a natural part of the work.
- Quality control of incoming samples according to validated routines
- Prepare and quality control libraries for large-scale sequencing according to validated methods
- Operate sequencing instruments
- Check and maintain instruments and methods according to assigned responsibilities
- A university/college degree in molecular biology or similar
- Be well acquainted with work in laboratory environment
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- You should be able to communicate freely in speech and writing in English, as contacts in English are a common feature of the work
- Experience of large-scale sequencing, especially the Illumina technology but also of other techniques for DNA- and RNA analysis.
- Experience from service-oriented laboratory operations.
- Previous experience with information systems for laboratories and quality assurance (ISO).
- A good ability to communicate in Swedish (written and verbal).
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with particular focus on gender equality.
- Research expertise and teaching ability.
To be successful in this position, you need to work with a high degree of independence and be stable as a person. You have a structured approach to work and is aware of the importance of quality. You have a natural feeling for co-operating with different kind of people.
Emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your application should include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Transcripts from college/university
- Brief description of why you are interested in the position
- Contact information for a couple of references
About the employment
The employment is valid until further notice (permanent post) according to agreement.
The employment begins with a six-month probationary period.
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Ellen Sherwood, PhD, email@example.com,|
|Last application date||16.Aug.2021 11:59 PM CEST|