The Eukaryotic Single Cell Genomics facility (ESCG), is looking for a highly qualified research engineer.
ESCG is a core facility at Karolinska Institutet and a national facility at Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab). Based at SciLifeLab in Stockholm, the focus of ESCG is on high throughput streamlined transcriptome and genome analysis of large numbers of individual eukaryotic cells.
ESCG constructs RNA and DNA sequence libraries from single-cell suspensions using state-of-the-art technologies. You will handle delicate primary cell samples, fragile RNA and sensitive instruments on a daily basis.
Your responsibilities will include running single-cell methods, RNA-isolation and sequencing library construction, microscopy, image analysis and quality control. Methods include Smart-seq3 protocol, Chromium system from 10x Genomics and custom protocols. Additionally, you will operate liquid handling robots, qPCR/PCR, and Bioanalyzer instruments.
Other tasks includes updates of laboratory protocols (SOPs), ordering, shipments, inventory, risk assessments.
You are service-minded and enjoy learning new methods. You are thorough, flexible, diligent in your laboratory work and proficient in work documentation. The position requires being able to work independently as well as in collaboration with others. You are able to work with several projects in parallel. You will work in an international team with frequent interactions with customers, therefore clear and informative communication skills, general computing proficiency, and a good knowledge of English are essential. Strong interpersonal skills will be highly valued.
- University degree in molecular biology, biomedical science, biotechnology or similar discipline
- Previous work with RNA and primary cells
- Good knowledge in molecular biology techniques
- Communication in Swedish and English
- Experience with laboratory work following Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), including biosafety rules
- Previous work with single-cell techniques
- Experience with high-throughput sample preparation of RNA and/or DNA
- Method development within the molecular biology field
- Experience with laboratory automation
- Experience from service-oriented work/core facility
What do we offer?
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct innovative medical research and provide the largest range of biomedical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is a state university, which entitles employees to several benefits such as extended holiday and a generous occupational pension. Employees also have free access to our modern gym and receive reimbursements for medical care.