Security-Focused Developer – Precision Medicine
Do you want to contribute to improving human health?
Department of Oncology-Pathology, Lehtiö research group
At the Department of Oncology-Pathology basic, translational, clinical research, and educational activities related to cancer are carried out. Approximately 300 people from over 40 nations are currently working at the department. About 30 research groups with various cancer research profiles are involved and we have around 110 PhD students. The Department of Oncology-Pathology is responsible for undergraduate courses in pathology, oncology, and forensic medicine for medical students, as well as for tumor biology courses for biomedicine students and pathology courses for opticians. The Lehtiö research group is a translational group of scientists with a drive to improve human proteome analysis by developing new methods that can be applied to improve personalized cancer treatment.
Do you want to contribute to improving cancer treatment?
We are looking for a passionate security-focused software developer to participate in our precision cancer medicine initiatives, in which we support the work of medical teams by bridging the gap between new technologies and the clinical setting. Specifically, we develop methods to analyse the molecular characteristics of tumor cells (such as their genomics and proteomics profiles) and link the results to potential therapeutic opportunities for patients. The candidate will participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of digital tools and data systems that support these tasks.
The position will be placed in the Cancer Proteomics Mass Spectrometry research group (Lehtiö Lab) headed by Professor Janne Lehtiö at Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab). SciLifeLab is a national infrastructure and research center in technology-driven life sciences, and Karolinska Institutet is one of the four founding universities of SciLifeLab. We offer a very stimulating and diverse work in a team of very motivated co-workers with expertise in cutting-edge technology.
The candidate will have the following responsibilities.
- Design and administer system security and user access
- Design and administer data transfer and data sharing
- Maintain MySQL databases and PHP-based database layers
- Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
- Execute full software development life cycle (SDLC) ranged from preliminary system analysis to tests, documentation, and deployment
- Automate software tests and deploys
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Deploy software to production servers
Qualifications / Requirements
- University degree, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant fields
- Experience with system security (authentication and authorization processes, etc.)
- Knowledge of protection of sensitive data, encryption techniques, and network security protocols
- Work experience as a software developer, minimum 3 years experience
- Knowledge of Git
- Knowledge in Unix/Linux shell scripting
- Experience with containerized applications, for example with Docker
Nice to have:
- Linux/Unix server administration
- Knowledge of some web-backend framework
- Knowledge about software automation platforms, for example Ansible
- Familiarity with GDPR
- Basic knowledge in molecular biology and/or bioinformatics
Since the position involves close interaction with team members and researchers, emphasis is placed on personal skills such as:
- Collaborative skills
- Communication skills in English
- Analytical skills
What do we offer?
A creative and inspiring environment with wide-ranging expertise and interests. Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote a better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct successful medical research and hold the largest range of medical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is also a state university, which entitles you to several good benefits through our collective agreement. And you get to practice freely in our modern wellness facilities, where trained staff are on site.
Location: Science for Life Laboratory in Solna
Welcome to apply at the latest 22 November.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.In this recruitment, you will apply with your CV without a personal letter. Instead, you will answer some questions about why you are applying for the job in the application form.
This position is for 1 year with the possibility that we will offer to apply for future permanent position.