Jonathan W Martin
I’m a toxicologist and environmental analytical chemist. My research interest is to understand what environmental contaminants we are exposed to, how we become exposed, and how these exposures impact on health. In particular, I am concerned with early-life exposures to persistent and bioaccumulative organic contaminants that can alter the normal developmental of humans and wildlife.
This is an exciting time for this research due to powerful new tools we have available. We are building an Ultratrace Non-Target Laboratory (UNTARGET Lab) at Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab) which will house ultrahigh resolution mass spectrometers for discovery of important new chemical contaminants in air, water, tissues and biofluids. The surrounding research environment at SciLifeLab specializes in genomics, epigenomics, proteomics, functional biology and bioimaging, and biostatistics, creating many possibilities to investigate our questions using best-available biomolecular technologies and methods.
Biographical Information. I earned a PhD in Toxicology at University of Guelph (2002), then worked as a Postdoc in Environmental Chemistry at University of Toronto (2003), and finally as a Postdoc in Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of Toronto (2004). I was formerly Full Professor at University of Alberta (Edmonton, Canada) in the Division of Analytical and Environmental Toxicology. I have published more than 150 manuscripts and am a Highly Cited Researcher (2014, Thomson Reuters). For my work in Canada I was elected as member to the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists. I moved to Sweden in 2016 and my research group moved to SciLifeLab Stockholm in 2017.
Ioannis Sadiktsis, Post doc
Lisa D’Agostino, Post doc
- Zhang Y, Shotyk W, Zaccone C, Noernberg T, Pelletier R, Bicalho B, Froese D, Davies LJ, Martin JW. 2016. Airborne petcoke dust is a major source of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the Athabasca oil sands region. Environmental Science & Technology. 50: 1711-1720. Link
- Liu J, Martin JW. 2017. Prolonged exposure to bisphenol A from single dermal contact events. Environmental Science & Technology. 51: 9940–9949. Link
- Morandi GD, Wiseman SB, Pereira A, Mankidy R, Gault IG, Martin JW, Giesy JP. 2015. Effects-Directed Analysis of Dissolved Organic Compounds in Oil Sands Process-Affected Water. Environmental Science & Technology. 49: 12395-404. Link
- Ye M, Beach J, Martin JW, Senthilselvan A. 2015. Urinary dialkyl phosphate concentration and lung function parameters in adolescents and adults: results from the Canadian Health Measures Survey. Environmental Health Perspectives. 123: 422-427 Link
- Liu Y, Pereira AS, Martin JW. 2015. Discovery of poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances in water by in-line SPE-HPLC-Orbitrap with in-source fragmentation flagging. Analytical Chemistry. 87: 4260−4268. Link