Assistant Professor in Computing Science with specialisation in Data Science
Uppsala University’s tenure track system grants assistant professors the possibility to be assessed for promotion to the position as associate professor. The university provides support in various areas, such as scientific and educational development, leadership development as well as patent and innovation support.
The Department of Information Technology has a leading position in both research and education at all levels. We are currently Uppsala University’s third largest department and currently has around 350 employees, including 120 teachers and 120 PhD students. Approximately 5,000 undergraduate students study one or more courses at the department each year. You find more information about us at the web page of the department of Information Technology.
Data science is a strategic area for both research and education at the department. Research in data science covers both the development of data science methods and a wide range of applications, from supporting scientific discoveries in the life sciences to understanding the mechanisms through which disinformation spreads in social media. The Department also hosts an International Master’s Programme in Data Science. Interdisciplinary collaboration in both research and education is enabled by the several research groups at the department being active on related areas, such as Artificial Intelligence, Optimisation, Machine Learning, Image Analysis, and many others by our comprehensive university and its several interdisciplinary centres, such as the Centre for Digital Humanities, and by strategic collaborations with other universities both in Sweden, such as SciLifeLab and the eSSSENCE e-science collaboration, and internationally, such as the Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities and the Matariki network.
Within the Department of Information Technology, this position is at the Computing Science Division. Our research addresses data science, databases, artificial intelligence, combinatorial optimisation, software engineering, and the theory, design and implementation of programming languages.
Description of subject area of the employment: The subject area is computer science, with focus on data science.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. Research includes strengthening research on data science at the Computing Science Division. This includes participation in research activities at the division, and applying for research funding.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, or related areas. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, which will be given equal weight.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in computational methods and tools for data science. Weight will also be attached to merits in such research applied to real-world applications.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to merits in the teaching of data analysis or databases. Weight will also be attached to merits in project-based teaching and the teaching of other courses in computer science.
Collaboration Expertise is important and will be afforded consideration. Collaborative expertise is demonstrated by the ability and skill of planning, organizing and implementing interaction with the surrounding community. Popular publications, public debate and lectures are examples of forms of interaction with the surrounding community. Other examples of collaboration are patent applications, commercialization and industrial cooperation. The ability to translate knowledge sharing with the surrounding community into activities of importance to the education’s development and quality is part of the collaboration expertise.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
Further information: In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position, six years. Scope of employment is 100 %. Starting date as agreed. Placement: Uppsala.