SciLifeLab is a national center for molecular biosciences with focus on health and environmental research. The center combines frontline technical expertise with advanced knowledge of translational medicine and molecular bioscience. SciLifeLab is a national resource hosted by Karolinska Institutet, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm University and Uppsala University. The center also collaborates with several other universities.
We are looking for a Bioinformatician to join our applications development team at NGI. The successful candidate will work in one of the largest European sequencing units. The role will be varied and the candidate will be involved with multiple different tasks. Examples of duties are:
- Working in collaborative projects with users.
- Analysing data from internal development projects.
- Working with systems development and HPC deployments.
- Developing new analysis pipelines as part of nf-core (see https://nf-co.re/).
- Software development, for example for quality control (eg. MultiQC).
- Automation of internal data / analysis flow.
The exact work tasks for the candidate will depend on experience and individual interest. We are a curious and flexible team and aim to work on what we are most excited by.
- Programming skills, primarily in Python, alt. R, Perl, Java or C/C++
- Basic knowledge of version control, e.g. git
- Experience from using Linux/UNIX
- Experience of HPC or equivalent computer systems
- Experience of working with cloud computing environments (eg. AWS)
- Experience in bioinformatics, or equivalent competence
- Experience handling large datasets, in particular next-generation sequencing data (NGS)
- Experience of web application development
In order to succeed in this role, it is important that you are an independent problem solver, with a structured and quality conscious way of working. You also have good communication skills in both written and spoken English. You have excellent collaboration skills.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, indefinite-term position with a six-month trial period. Salaries at Stockholm University are determined individually; therefore, please indicate your requested salary. Start date immediately.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Anja Mezger, email@example.com (Head of Unit, NGI Applications Development) or Phil Ewels (Bioinformatics Lead, NGI Applications Development), firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, email@example.com, Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com (SEKO).
Apply for the position at Stockholm University’s recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Only include the cover letter and CV in your application. Bring copies of grades and certificates if you are called to an interview.