Research engineer for large-scale sequencing operations
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Stockholm University
Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab, www.scilifelab.se) is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure.
SciLifeLab performs multidisciplinary research based on DNA sequencing, gene expression analysis, proteomics, bioinformatics, biostatistics and systems biology. The aim is to enable Swedish researchers to analyze genes, transcripts and proteins in different organisms in order to clarify molecular mechanisms related to health and the environment. Examples of thematic research areas currently being processed within SciLifeLab are clinical genomics/proteomics, cancer genomics, complex genomics, and ecological and environmental-related genomics. Bioinformatics and systems biology are key activities within the center, and a significant part of SciLifeLab’s staff work in these areas.
The National Genomics Infrastructure, NGI, is the largest technical platform in SciLifeLab. It is a national resource that offers an infrastructure for state-of-the-art DNA sequencing and SNP genotyping to researchers across Sweden. By providing access to advanced genomics techniques and providing guidelines and support for sampling, study design, protocol selection and bioinformatics analysis, we hope to enable world-leading research.
The position will be placed at the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Stockholm University.
You will be working as a research engineer in the development team at NGI, one of the largest European sequencing facilities, at SciLifeLab in Solna. Within the development team, we focus on implementing new methods and techniques into NGIs operations with the aim of giving Swedish researchers access to the latest methods within large-scale DNA and RNA sequencing. Your role will be varied and you will be involved in multiple different tasks, including:
- Developing lab protocols for new techniques and applications.
- Design and carry out experiments to evaluate new protocols/methods.
- Preparing and performing quality control of samples for large-scale sequencing.
- Working in collaborative projects with users.
- Working with laboratory automation systems.
- Checking and maintaining instruments and methods according to assigned responsibilities.
- Degree in molecular biology or equivalent competence.
- Familiarity with working in a laboratory environment.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- We prefer if you have experience of large-scale sequencing, especially Illumina, but also other techniques for DNA and RNA analysis.
- Experience in tissue sectioning (cryostat and/or microtome), IHC and ISH is advantageous.
- It is commendable if you have prior experience from service-oriented laboratory operations or with information systems for laboratories and quality assurance.
- Solid understanding of molecular biology/biochemistry.
In order to succeed in this role, it is important that you are an independent problem solver, with a structured and quality conscious way of working. You also have good communication skills in both written and spoken language. You have excellent collaboration skill. Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, indefinite-term position with a six-month trial period. Salaries at Stockholm University are determined individually; therefore, please indicate your requested salary. Start date immediately.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Anja Mezger, email@example.com.
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, firstname.lastname@example.org, Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org (SEKO).
Apply for the position at Stockholm University’s recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Only include the cover letter and CV in your application. Bring copies of grades and certificates if you are called to an interview.