Researcher Cell Biology – Sequencing and Assay Development for OligoNova Hub
Ref PAR 2022/1358
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
OligoNova Hub is a national research infrastructure that provides academic researchers in Sweden with support and capabilities to transform ideas and discoveries into new oligonucleotide therapies. The Hub is located within the vibrant biotech cluster at the AstraZeneca BioVentureHub in Mölndal. OligoNova Hub is organized within the Core Facilities at the University of Gothenburg (www.cf.gu.se), and is also part of the Science for Life Laboratory Drug Discovery and Development platform (https://www.scilifelab.se/units/ddd-platform/ ), a national resource comprising 50+ scientists with complementary expertise in drug discovery.
We seek a highly skilled and talented cell biologist/NGS scientist to join the cell assay development team at the OligoNova Hub (University of Gothenburg). You will contribute with your expertise in molecular and cell biology and sequencing methodologies to drive our drug discovery projects. This is an exciting opportunity to develop and apply state-of-the-art techniques and interact with top scientist across Sweden.
As researcher in the cell biology team at OligoNova Hub, you are responsible for the evaluation of pharmacological and toxicological effects of the therapeutic oligonucleotides that are developed at OligoNova Hub. In your role, you develop and use various state-of-the-art methods in particular related to RNA sequencing and qPCR, aided by advanced laboratory automation systems, and apply these methods to analyses in cell lines and primary cell culture models. You also contribute to HTS profiling in fluorometric assays and using advanced microscopy, and to project management and communication with internal and external partners.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. degree or equivalent experience in a relevant scientific field of biology, biotechnology, engineering or similar.
Essential for the role:
- Experience working with multiple and diverse cell types/models, including primary cells and cell lines.
- Expertise in developing and applying a broad range of wet-lab techniques, such as qPCR, Western-blotting, toxicity assays and other plate-based assays.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to operate effectively in a multi-disciplinary research environment.
- Ability to independently analyze and evaluate complex data and deliver data/project reports to agreed timelines.
Desirable for the role:
- Hands-on lab-based experience in utilizing advanced molecular biology and RNA-sequencing techniques: nucleic acid extraction, sample and library preparation and next generation sequencing (NGS) is a strong merit.
- Practical experience in laboratory automation/liquid handling systems, method development and optimization is meriting.
- Practical, hands-on experience with any combination of the following areas are meriting: high-throughput screening/assays and analyzing and interpreting large data sets, in particular RNAseq data; handling primary cell cultures, organoids and cells grown in 3D; confocal microscopy, image analysis, in-situ hybridization, ELISA or flow cytometry/sorting.
- Practical understanding of a wide range of cell assays (including functional assays) is beneficial.
- Expertise in working with oligonucleotides (ASOs or siRNA) for modulation of gene expression and familiar with recent developments in areas relevant to oligonucleotide-based drug discovery is meriting.
Great emphasis is placed on personal suitability, good communication and interpersonal skills. You are able to work independently as well as part of a team. You are self-motivated and service-minded and have a positive, result-oriented and problem-solving attitude. You have excellent problem-solving skills, not limited to your own area of expertise. You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
The employment is a full-time (100%), permanent position, placed at OligoNova Hub within the Core Facilities at the University of Gothenburg. A probationary employment period of 6 months may be applied. Start date as soon as possible based on agreement.