Researcher, Core Facilities
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 53 500 students and 6 500 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
OligoNova Hub is a national research infrastructure that provides academic researchers in Sweden with the support and capabilities needed to transform ideas and discoveries into new oligonucleotide therapies. OligoNova Hub is located at the University of Gothenburg Core Facilities, and is also part of the Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab: http://www.scilifelab.se) Drug Discovery and Development (DDD) platform, a national resource comprising around 40 highly motivated scientists, most of whom have industrial drug discovery experience.
The University of Gothenburg is now recruiting motivated and engaged Researchers to the Oligonucleotide Chemistry Team at OligoNova Hub and SciLifeLab DDD. The successful candidate has significant experience in chemical synthesis, purification, and/or analysis of oligonucleotide therapeutics or similar molecules, as well as demonstrated ability to work as part of an integrated team on multiple parallel projects. The successful candidate will join an innovative and interdisciplinary team developing state-of-the-art technologies for chemical synthesis and conjugation of oligonucleotides for drug discovery projects.
As a Researcher in the OligoNova Hub Chemistry Team you main duties will be to deliver innovative oligonucleotides to drug discovery projects at OligoNova Hub.
You will be part of the team responsible for the design, synthesis, purification and analysis of oligonucleotides, chemically modified nucleoside building blocks, and oligonucleotide conjugates within drug discovery projects. The successful candidate should therefore have hands-on knowledge of chemical structure search tools, synthesis techniques, purification and analysis instrumentation and methods, related to chemically modified nucleosides, oligonucleotides, and conjugates.
- Delivering new and custom-defined oligonucleotide products according to project needs and time plans.
- Performing synthesis of oligonucleotides on solid supports using automated synthesizers.
- Synthesizing and characterizing customized phosphoroamidite monomers, and small molecules for conjugation to oligonucleotides.
- Be responsible for chemical laboratory equipment and purchase and management of reagents.
- Performing post-synthetic conjugations.
- Purifying intermediates and final products.
- Operating analytical and purification equipment, including HPLC, LC-MS, UV-Vis, NMR instrumentation.
- Identifying strategies for the synthesis of modified oligonucleotides and their conjugates.
- Evaluating and extending new chemistries and providing innovations to achieve new product advantages.
- Organizing work, recording, evaluating and summarizing all experimental work and results, and reporting to a team leader, internal team members and to external project owners.
- Preparing written reports (English) of project methods and results.
- Must hold PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry, or a related field, with an emphasis on hands-on experience in synthesis and purification/analysis of oligonucleotides, nucleotide building blocks, and/or small molecules (in particular RNA-targeted ones).
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English. English is the primary language for project reporting internally and externally.
- Must have in-depth knowledge in organic synthesis strategies, techniques, and reactions as well as experience in purification and analytical characterization methods such as NMR, MS, UV-vis, and fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, gel electrophoresis.
- Must have documented capability of independently designing and performing experiments and interpreting results.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability is necessary, as are excellent collaborative skills, drive, and ability to work well in an interdisciplinary team.
Experience in any combination of the following areas are of additional merit:
- Experience in automated oligonucleotide synthesis using phosphoroamidite chemistry.
- Experience in nucleoside/nucleotide chemistry and synthesis of nucleoside building blocks for subsequent solid phase synthesis of oligonucleotides.
- Experience in bioconjugation chemistry techniques, in particular conjugation of oligonucleotides, and/or synthesis of organic molecules for subsequent conjugation reactions.
- Experience in purification, analysis and characterization of oligonucleotides and/or other biomolecules.
- Experience in developing processes for synthesis and purification of large macromolecules.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical drug discovery process, in particular related to therapeutic oligonucleotides.
- Knowledge in the area of oligonucleotide therapeutics including design and synthesis thereof.
The position is a full-time, permanent position (100%), placed at the OligoNova unit within the Core Facilities at the University of Gothenburg. Starting date as agreed. A probationary employment period of 6 months may be applied.
Applicants will be evaluated based on submitted documents, interviews, and references. Particular emphasis will be placed on documented strengths in chemical synthesis, purification and analysis of oligonucleotides and related chemistry and project management.
For further information regarding the position
For questions regarding the position you are welcome to contact Dmitri Ossipov, Team Leader Oligonucleotide Chemistry, OligoNova Hub, email@example.com; Pär Matsson, Scientific Director, OligoNova Hub, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Elisabet Carlsohn, Head of Core Facilities Sahlgrenska Academy, email@example.com.