Researcher in Genomics
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab, https://www.scilifelab.se/) is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure. At SciLifeLab, multidisciplinary research is carried out based on DNA sequencing, gene expression analysis, proteomics, bioinformatics, biostatistics and system biology. The goal is to enable Swedish researchers to analyze genes, transcripts and proteins in different organisms in order to map molecular mechanisms related to health and the environment. Examples of thematic research areas that are currently being processed within SciLifeLab are clinical genomics/proteomics, cancer genome and the genomics of complex diseases as well as ecological and environmental genomics.
Professor Tuuli Lappalainen’s research group is looking for a researcher to lead and coordinate projects in functional genomics, particularly on the experimental side with a focus on CRISPR and single cell approaches as well as transcriptomics. Approximately half of the researcher’s effort would be dedicated to spearheading cutting-edge research projects leading to publications led by the researcher, and the rest would be dedicated to coordinating lab operations, establishing new protocols and best practices, training and mentoring junior staff and students, and assisting in grant applications.
As Dr. Lappalainen recently relocated to KTH, the person selected for this position will play a major role in establishing the new lab and will work closely with the PI to develop experimental research strategy for the lab. This position offers the opportunity to develop a highly independent role. Dr. Lappalainen is also the director of National Genomics Infrastructure of SciLifeLab and an Associate Faculty Member at the New York Genome Center, and the person selected for this role would interact closely with these teams as well.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future.
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment.
- Opportunity to do research in an international research group at the cutting edge of genomics
- Creative role with a high degree of independence
- An opportunity to develop skills and CV for a future career as a senior researcher or as an independent PI
- Opportunity to visit the New York Genome Center to learn protocols and transfer them to the KTH lab
- Close interactions with the Genomics platform at SciLifeLab as well as other platforms and labs in the Solna campus.
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree in genomics or a related field
- Research expertise in molecular biology approaches, including tissue and cell culture and high-throughput sequencing.
- A strong track record in research.
- Skills and experience in study design, production and preferably also analysis of large-scale genomics data sets.
- Excellent English skills (oral and writing).
- 2+ years of post-PhD experience in academia or industry
- Experience of CRISPR and/or single-cell approaches
- Experience of developing and leading activities and staff
- Knowledge of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
To be successful in this role you need to have good collaborative abilities. You have excellent organizational skills with a high degree of independence. You have a teaching ability. You also have pedagogical skills and ability to inform about research and development work including excellent writing and communication skills. You have the ability to work towards research results being utilised in practice.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad. Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application.
The application must include a CV with a list of publications and a maximum two page description of prior and current research achievements and future research interests and how they relate to your future goals.
Your complete application must be received by KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The employment is valid for a limited time according to the agreement – for up to 24 months, with access according to agreement.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||Heltid, 100%|
|Contact||Tuuli Lappalainen, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Last application date||05.Jul.2021 11:59 PM CET|