Introduction to Data Management Practices
April 18, 2023 @ 09:00 – April 20, 2023 @ 17:00 CEST
National course open for PhD students, postdocs, researchers and other employees within all Swedish universities. This course will introduce important aspects of Research Data Management through a series of lectures and hands-on computer exercises. The course is intended for researchers that want to take the first steps towards a more systematic and reproducible approach to analysing and managing research data.
Application opens: open now
Application closes: 2023-03-28
Confirmation to accepted students: 2023-03-17 and 2023-03-31
1500 SEK paid by invoice to NBIS. This includes lunches, coffee and snacks. Please note that NBIS cannot invoice individuals.
Due to limited space the course can accommodate a maximum of 25 participants. If we receive more applications, participants will be selected based on several criteria. Selection criteria include correct entry requirements, motivation to attend the course as well as gender and geographical balance.
Topics covered will include:
- Open Science and FAIR in practice
- Organising data, files and folders in research projects
- Describing data with metadata
- Publishing data to public data repositories
- Cleaning tabular data and metadata with OpenRefine
- Writing basic recipes for data analysis and visualisation with R
- Versioning data, documents and scripts
No previous programming experience is required but you are required to bring your own laptop with the required software pre-installed. Installation instructions will be provided before the course starts.