SciLifeLab Train the Trainer Course
April 10, 2024 @ 12:30 – 16:30 CEST
This course offers guidance, ideas and tips for designing training/teaching, development and delivery on training activities, all based on research-driven educational principles. This course will cover the following topics:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Design and plan session, course, materials
- Teaching techniques to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- Creating and maintaining engagement
Course dates are: April 10, April 17, April 24 and May 2, held from 12:30-16:30 each day
This course will be delivered through Zoom and Canvas, which is a learning management system. You can find a link to the course pages below.
- The course is highly interactive and hence it is important that you, as a participant, actively contribute to all sessions and elements of the course.
- There are no fees for this course.
Learning Objectives and Learning Outcomes
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and use training techniques that can help enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design as well as strategies for making learning engaging
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Design a training session and a course
- Develop assessment questionnaires
- Enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course
Describe strategies to promote engagement amongst learners
This course is directed towards anyone who is interested in becoming a trainer/instructor, or improving your training skills.
This course is directed towards anyone who is interested in becoming a trainer/instructor, or improving your training skills. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How do I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching/training?
- How do I make my teaching/training more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching/training to different types of learners?
- How do I ensure learning progress?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
Due to limited space the course can accommodate a maximum of 25 participants. If we receive more applications, participants will be selected based on selection criteria: Priority will be given to applicants from SciLifeLab infrastructures, institutes and organizations across the Nordic research community, and to participants from Nordic ELIXIR nodes.
Please see the course website, which will be updated regularly, for more information: https://scilifelab-training.github.io/train-the-trainer/2403/